ST. JOSEPH'S CATHEDRAL

MILESTONES

1870

 

Msgr. Caprotti Pietro PIME laid the foundation for St. Joseph’s Church.

1872

 

Fr. Malberti Lungi PIME took charge of the Parish.

1875

 

The main building which was opened for worship on Christmas eve.

1886

 

Hyderabad was erected as a diocese.

1887

 

Pope Leo XIII notified St. Joseph’s Church to be the Cathedral of the diocese.

1891

 

The Towers and Facade of the Church completed.

1892

5(out of 18) bells shipped from Milan were installed. All the statues, the beautiful mural carvings of the 14 stations of the cross and various artifacts were imported from Italy.

1925

 

Msgr. Dionigi Vismara PIME invited the Franciscan Brothers to Administer All Saint’s School.

1952

HEH Mir Osman Ali Khan, the 7th Nizam of Hyderabad gifted the clock, the oil paintings of the Madonna by Murillo, Chandeliers and furniture.

1953

Diocese was handed over to the native clergy, when Bishop Mark Gopu became its first Bishop and later Archbishop of the Metropolitan See.

1964

 

The Cathedral had its first native Parish Priest Msgr. Algred Fernandez.

2003-08

 

Under the guidance of Archbishop Marampudi Joji, renovation and re-roofing of the Cathedral was undertaken.

ABOUT US

Established in 1820 AD, the construction of the present structure began in 1869 when Fr. Antonio Tagliabue of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME), bought an extensive plot of land near Chaderghat, in what is now called Gunfoundry 

ADDRESS

040-2323-4156

5-9-305, Gun Foundry Basheer Bagh, Hyderabad 500001 Telangana, India

 

stjosephcathedralhyd@gmail.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • CATHOLIC HUB TRANSPARENT
  • YouTube Social  Icon

© 2018 by ST JOSEPH'S CATHEDRAL. Designed & Maintained by TECHVEIN